Friday, April 2, 2010

Run Forrest Run....


I never understood the need that many people on this planet hold. The need to run. I hate running, well I guess thats not entirely true, I dislike running. I can understand the need for humans to run, for example to get food or perhaps to evade and enemy but to run for fun......no surely not.

This has changed as of late due to my new found interest, physical endurance. We are all created equal yet different in my opinion. To illustrate this forgive my swift analogy: my friend Greg bravely and speedily chases down a gazelle, he chases it for ten hours until the beast collapses from exhaustion. At this point he kills it and then comes my job. Due to my physicality, I must drag this stinking rotting carcass back to the village. We both have our roles to play using our own stature to complete the task as best we can.

I realise at this point that this is a crap analogy but my point is, we are not all designed to run marathons or compete in the Olympics. However we are all born with an ability to push ourselves beyond what we once may have thought impossible. For this reason I am going to attempt to run a marathon.

This challenge will begin in a week or so when I compete in a Half Marathon and use it as a training aid for the full in a few months. The training for this has been steady and in many ways enjoyable. I even completed a ten mile run this pass week in preparation for the race. At this point I will feebly attempt to align this with my SAHD theme. I really see all this physical training as positive role modelling for Kasia. She seems to really get a kick out of when Mummy and Daddy go for a run (albeit at different times). She helps us get ready, she even pretends to stretch sometimes, it is amazingly cute and fulfilling to watch.

I wish that Kasia was already old enough to take part in these events with me but I will not wish my life away anymore. I have pledged to live my life in chapters and this next one might just be the 'hardest' yet. But as Don Miller says, 'the point is not necessarily to win at the end of the story, just have the strength to make it through.'

No comments:

Post a Comment