Sunday, April 11, 2010

My first Half Marathon...done!


About four years ago I spoke to a work colleague about the fact that I wanted to take part in a 5K race. That colleague has become one of my closest friends and someone who is equal parts talented as he is crazy! I was saying this to him because he was/is an endurance athlete who excels in running, cycling, mountaineering, skeleton (yep sliding down ice), rugby...this list goes on an on. He was always planning amazing trips with his brother and I basically wanted to do my small version of physical experimentation. Well, the years passed and I still hadn't done the 5K. I was too fat, too 'busy' and frankly too lazy.

With my new found lease on life and with a drive to be a positive role model for Kasia I eventually did the 5K race. It was a lot of fun, ironically, but it was just a taste of what I have now found my self experiencing. Today I completed my first Half Marathon. I ran a distance of 13.1 miles in about 2 hours and 14 mins. This I did with my friend at my side. I don't think he was planning to have a behemoth in his wake but I tagged along and ran with him and his brother-in-law. The guys graciously allowed me to run the whole distance with them and it was just a fantastic experience. Each time I felt the urge to stop, there they were, pounding that road and making me find another gear.

Needless to say I am pretty darn proud of myself. Even though my legs have officially ceased to be a part of my body for the next couple of days, it was all worth it. My friend pushes me to push myself. He regularly climbs mountains, rides crazy distances on a bike and takes part in Ultra Marathons but he still has the time to help out a guy on his first steps to an unknown destination.

I'm blessed really because right now, Hilery is on another charge. Not only did she recently win her age group division at the Fort Worth 5K, she has a new found passion for Triathlons. She will compete in another one soon and she is just an absolute monster! A mum, a nurse, an athlete....so many things and she gets little in the way of thanks. I wish I could complement her achievements in a more elaborate way, but currently helping to raise our little munchkin is all I can offer.

We are trying to provide Kasia with a success rich environment, without ignoring the need for failure. I say 'need' because we must all fail in order to triumph over it. Failure makes us better people and ultimately better parents. It is all in the manner in which we succeed or fail which defines us. I keep trying things and let me tell you...its really hard sometimes. But I remember how lucky I am in a million different ways.

Next stop is maybe another Half Marathon but ultimately a full 26.2 mile Marathon. I will be entering the ballot for the 2011 London Marathon and I hope I can get a place. If I can I hope that my friends and family with be willing to shout encouragement (or abuse I don't care!) along the way. Lets hope it all works out.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done matey that's a fab achievement!I did the great south run in 08 and it was a killer but I hadn't done enough training so t'was my own fault. Me and J are off to Brighton this Sunday to watch our sis in law take part in the first ever Brighton marathon so if you don't have any luck getting into the London one theres always that option! Anyway congrats on your awesome first half marathon, and wow Hilery is a machine! :-O Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete