Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cross into the Blue......




OK, so it has finally happened! It has taken almost an entire year but as of Wednesday May 5th 2010, my wife Hilery Mulholland, is now a First Lieutenant in the United States Air Force. It's a little crazy I guess but I could not be more proud of her. She is the kind of person that is in constant need of a challenge. Whether that challenge is academic, career based or physical, Hilery just loves to push herself above and beyond what most can/will do.

This whole thing started years ago in point of fact. Hil was interested in the opportunities that the USAF could provide in terms of career progression and travel. Things happened and life just kept cruising along but we have recently found ourselves as a family in need of something new. That something is the military. Initially I was going to go into the Army but without much deliberation I have been deemed ineligible due to medical conditions (PA). I suppose that fate stepped in because as a soldier of low rank I would have been gone overseas 80% of the time and earning next to nothing in wages. For Hilery it is an entirely different ball game. Although she may/will be deployed, the deployment averages around four months (Army is fifteen!) and the lifestyle in the USAF is very, very comfortable.

I wish I could find a way to explain why this is a good move for us, but I just don't have the words. The military is not for everybody, and Hil isn't doing it to be a hero! She desperately doesn't want to leave us for huge chunks of time but it is the nature of the job and we hope that the benefits out way that sacrifice.

Hilery will go to COT (Commissioned Officer Training) in Montgomery Alabama for 32 days starting June 28th. So unfortunately I will be on my lonesome! Hopefully my parents will be visiting for some of the time but if anyone wants to drop by and help out...the door is open! After the month of training we will report to Hilery's first duty station, it is Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We will be stationed there for approximately three years and then who knows? I can only hope that the move to CO will attract some visitors for the ski season.....fingers crossed.

Many people have put forward a less than chirpy response to Hil having to go away for large periods of time and I understand, I really do. But what people seem to forget is that there are many jobs in the civilian world when working away from home is a necessity. Yet no one sheds as much negativity as when it is due to the military. As I said, it is understandable but we currently live in a secluded bubble with no family and very few friends...we hope the USAF will become our new family and we look forward to crossing into the blue! (man that was cheesy, but I liked it!)

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry about what anyone else says. You make the decisions that you think are right for YOUR family. We get grief about Tom being away from home M-F, but it's the decision that we have made for this time in our life. Think about the female role model that your daughter is going to have growing up!! That's incredible for Hilery! Congrats for you all!

    Tiff Proven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you'll both LOVE living in Colorado! The high elevation will make you a running MACHINE and the scenery is breath taking. And when you visit low elevation places like Texas and Arizona you'll be able to race and set PRs. Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll bloom!

    Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way! Tell my cousin Hil I love the heck out of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that's what Hilery is motivated to do, I know nothing could stop her from being a great success at it! As a side note- Gooooooo BRONCOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for your family....and a little scary! We are going to miss you guys! And PLEASE let us watch Kasia some night before Hil has to leave....ya'll need a date night!!

    ReplyDelete